Pages

background

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Heart Wreath



Once again, thank you to the Oopsey Daisy Blog for having such great ideas for Valentine's Day. I followed this tutorial pretty closely when doing this project. Let's get started:

In order to make this you will need:
A wreath form
Ribbon
Wood hearts of all sizes
Scrapbook Paper
Wooden circle beads (2 sizes)
Red paint
Mod Podge
Gorilla glue
Hot glue gun



I started by wrapping the ribbon around the wreath form. To do this, I place some gorilla glue at the start of the ribbon and used sewing pins for reinforcement. When that was finished, I began tracing the hearts onto the scrapbook pages, mixing up the sizes and shapes for each pattern.

Once all the hearts were traced on paper, I began painting. I used red paint and made sure to cover both sides of the hearts. I didn't want to be able to see any of the wood, especially because I knew I would be hanging it over a mirror.


While I waited for the paint to dry, I cut the hearts out so they were ready to go.

Next, I glued the wooden beads onto the backs of the hearts using the gorilla glue. I wanted to make sure I had some flat hearts(no bead) and then a variety of hearts with both sizes of beads on the back. You don't need to have the same amount of each, I just mixed it up at random.


When the glue was completely dried, I painted all the beads. Once again, I didn't want the wood to show at all.


After the paint dried, I used Mod Podge to adhere the paper hearts to the wooden hearts. I first put a layer on the wooden heart, placed the paper hearts, and then added another coat to the top to seal it off. More waiting for things to dry....


FINALLY, it was time to place the hearts on the wreath. I placed hearts all over, trying to cover up as much of the wreath as possible. I just kept adding more, and more, and more. I used a hot glue gun for this part, and it worked very well.  I also added more ribbon for the wreath to hang. I am so happy with the finished product!!

Variations:
- would look great with any shapes (circles, squares, stars, etc)
- any colors or patterns of paper would also be nice
- you can do this for any holiday or season

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment